Vacancy: Director of Communications
When large-scale disasters hit countries without the capacity to respond, the DEC brings together 14 leading UK aid charities to raise funds quickly and efficiently. In these times of crisis, people in life-and-death situations need our help and our mission is to save, protect and rebuild lives through effective humanitarian response.
As our Director of Communications, you will have the unique opportunity to work with senior decision makers and news editors at UK broadcast media outlets, as well as unparalleled access to our member charities, UK government, and a host of other corporate, institutional, and high-public-profile figures. You will also be leading a small, dynamic, and collegiate team as well as a host of creative agencies and freelance consultants.
- To enhance the profile, reputation and income of the DEC and its appeals by developing and implementing the DEC’s communications strategy, covering the periods both during and between appeals.
- To ensure the communications strategy remains relevant to the changing media environment and DEC needs over time, and is integrated with the DEC’s fundraising strategy.
- To lead on internal communications within the DEC Secretariat and with members.
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the Disasters Emergency Committee as our next Director of Communications, please contact our executive search partners Green Park on Harry.Marven@Green-Park.co.uk for more information. To formally apply for this position, we would like you to provide an up-to-date CV along with a statement outlining your suitability for this role and why you are motivated to join the DEC at this time. In particular, we are interested to hear about your experience or knowledge in the following key areas:
- Leadership and developing strategy in a fast-paced environment;
- Collaboration and consensus building across an organisation or network;
- Leading on rapid scaling-up of capacity and crisis comms;
- Building effective relationships across the media landscape.
Interviews with the DEC panel are currently scheduled for Thursday 9th September (9am – 1pm) and Friday 10th September (1pm – 5pm). Please send your completed application to CharitiesandSocialEnterprise@Green-Park.co.uk and Harry.Marven@Green-Park.co.uk along with a diversity monitoring form (available from Green Park). We look forward to hearing from you.