Weekend donations to help survivors of Super Tyhoon Haiyan have boosted the DEC Philippines Typhoon appeal to £35 million.
Speaking on behalf of the agencies which make up the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), its Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said: “The kindness and generosity of the public has been overwhelming this weekend, a full week after the typhoon devastated parts of the Philippines, and the aid agencies represented by the DEC are extremely grateful for people’s continued compassion.
“The needs are still enormous, and in fact growing day by day, but thanks to the donations we have received so far DEC agencies and their local partners are increasingly able to give desperately-needed supplies of food, clean water, medication, sanitation and temporary shelter materials to thousands of people in the worst- affected areas. The money raised is going straight to delivering essential aid and it is absolutely vital that we continue to support the survivors of this disaster.”
To make a donation to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal visit http://www.dec.org.uk, call the 24 hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
Stay up to date with developments in the Philippines, the emergency response and the DEC’s fundraising efforts on twitter: http://twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via http://www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
What the money donated could buy:
- £25: Water purification tablets for ten families for a month
- £50: Feeds a family for two weeks
- £100: Emergency shelter and bedding for one family
DEC press office 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Notes to editors
- The DEC brings 14 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at post office counters.
- To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have the bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.
- Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or 0370 60 60 900