Donations to the DEC Philippines Typhoon appeal, set up to help survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan have now reached a remarkable £55 million.
Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said:
“It is now nearly two weeks since Typhoon Haiyan devastated parts of the Philippines, yet the public continue to donate generously to the DEC appeal.
“Survivors of the disaster desperately need a huge amount of help both now and in the months to come, so this money will literally support people to rebuild their lives.”
“DEC agencies and their local partners are already there providing hundreds of thousands of people with urgently needed supplies of food, clean water, medication, sanitation and temporary shelter materials.”
To make a donation to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal visit http://www.dec.org.uk, call the 24 hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
Stay up to date with developments in the Philippines, the emergency response and the DEC’s fundraising efforts on twitter: http://twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via http://www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
What the money donated could buy:
- £25: Water purification tablets for ten families for a month
- £50: Feeds a family for two weeks
- £100: Emergency shelter and bedding for one family
DEC press office 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Notes to editors
• The DEC brings 14 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
• Donations can be made at any high street bank and at post office counters.
• To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have the bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.