12 July 2010 The earthquake on 12 January devastated Haiti's capital Port au Prince where the vast majority of people were already living in poorly constructed and tightly packed slums. The DEC has now visited some of the areas of the country most affected and produced these videos showing the work of our members and telling the real life stories of survivors. You can see these stories on YouTube and in the Reuniting Families video you can find out why Charlanda (right) needs our help.
The DEC Haiti Earthquake Appeal has now raised over £101 million of which over £30 million has been spent already to help 1.2 million people with aid that has included:
- clean drinking water for over 250,000 people
- emergency shelter for over 100,000 people
- the building of 3,000 latrines
- over 2,500 ‘cash for work’ public service projects
- medical consultations for over 100,000 people
- supplementary feeding for 1,890 malnourished children