A lady leaves a CARE food distribution in southern Leyte, Philippines
DEC member agencies and their partners have now delivered aid to more than 700,000 people across affected areas of the Philippines.
They have delivered aid both with funds raised by the DEC and using support from many other sources. There remains a huge amount of work to be done because millions of people have been affected by Typhoon Haiyan.
Those who have already had some help now need more support on an ongoing basis and aid has yet to reach some of the most isolated communities. Although the people affected are scattered across scores of islands and many roads and ports are damaged or choked with debris, aid workers are continuing to fight every day to reach those who need their help.
Some examples of the aid that has been delivered by our member agencies and their partners include:
- ActionAid and their partners have helped over 6,000 people including delivering food parcels and shelter kits on Bantayan Island.
- Age International and their partners have delivered food to an indigenous community in Kananga, on Leyte island.
- British Red Cross and their partners are working on Samar, Leyte and Cebu and have helped over 88,000, including providing food and water on Malapascua Island.
- CAFOD and their partners have helped over 361,000 people including delivering shelter kits to people in Palo and Ormoc.
- Care International and their partners has helped over 30,000 people including providing shelter kits and kitchen sets to people in Albuera, Tolosa and Tacloban.
- Christian Aid and their partners have helped more than 14,000 people, including providing food in Illoilo and emergency shelter in Leyte.
- Islamic Relief and their partners have provided food and water to over 70,000 people in Cebu.
- Oxfam and their partners have helped nearly 37,000 people, including providing water and hygiene kits to people in Daan Bayatan and Tanauan.
- Plan have reached 25,000 people, including providing shelter kits, jerry cans and water purification tablets in East Samar.
- Save the Children with Merlin and their partners have helped over 20,000 people, including setting up a mobile clinic to support people in Leyte and Panay.
- Tearfund and their partners have helped over 28,000 people, providing food, water and sanitation kits to people in Basey, Malabut and Dulag.
- World Vision and their partners have helped over 49,000 people in northern Cebu and Leyte, including providing food, hygiene and household items to people in Tabugon and Daan bantayan.