The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) Philippines Typhoon Appeal has now raised over £50 million thanks to an incredible response from the public as well as support from the UK and Scottish governments.
The UK government has donated £5 million through matched giving and the Scottish government has also supported the appeal by giving £600,000. These funds have been included for the first time in the appeal total.
DEC member agencies and their partners have now helped over half a million people. They have provided much needed clean water, sanitation, medical care, temporary shelter materials and other aid.
DEC Chief Executive Saleeh Saeed said: “We continue to be humbled by the remarkable support the public have provided for this appeal. The country has given so generously. The DEC and our member agencies are extremely thankful for the kindness of all those who have donated. Funds from both the UK and Scottish governments have also been incredibly important to the aid being provided – we are hugely grateful for this support.
“The sheer scale of this disaster has shocked millions of us and rallied us together to help those in need. The vital funds raised are already making an incredible difference to the lives of those affected by Typhoon Haiyan – the people of the Philippines are incredible grateful for the support.”
To make a donation to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal visit http://www.dec.org.uk, call the 24 hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
Stay up to date with developments in the Philippines, the emergency response and the DEC’s fundraising efforts on twitter:http://twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via http://www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
What the money donated could buy:
- £25: Water purification tablets for ten families for a month
- £50: Feeds a family for two weeks
- £100: Emergency shelter and bedding for one family
DEC press office 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Notes to editors
- The DEC brings 14 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
- DEC member agencies and their partners will use the funds to provide much needed aid to the 13 million people affected by the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at post office counters.
- To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have the bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.
- Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or 0370 60 60 900