At the start of the second week since Super Typhoon Haiyan made landfall, the DEC has received donations of £33 million for the Philippines Typhoon appeal.
Speaking on behalf of the agencies which make up the DEC, its Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said: “The generosity of the public is yet again surpassing all expectations. The aid agencies represented by the Disasters Emergency Committee never take such kindness for granted but this shows that when people are really suffering, the UK responds.
“It is increasingly obvious that the need is huge and we and the people being helped are very grateful for all the support. DEC agencies are already using the money donated to good effect. They are in affected areas delivering vital aid including food, water and very importantly sanitation supplies.”
To make a donation to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal visit http://www.dec.org.uk, call the 24 hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
Stay up to date with developments in the Philippines, the emergency response and the DEC’s fundraising efforts on twitter:http://twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via http://www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
What the money donated could buy:
- £25: Water purification tablets for ten families for a month
- £50: Feeds a family for two weeks
- £100: Emergency shelter and bedding for one family
DEC press office 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Notes to editors
• The DEC brings 14 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
• Donations can be made at any high street bank and at post office counters.
• To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have the bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.
• Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or 0370 60 60 900