Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or 0370 60 60 900
The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) appeal for Yemen has reached a total of £5 million in less than 24 hours, with money continuing to pour in from the public.
Two years of war have brought Yemen, already one of the poorest countries in the world, to breaking point. More than 7 million people in Yemen do not know where their next meal will come from and children are dying from malnutrition.
In the midst of on-going conflict, DEC member charities are already reaching millions of people across the country with lifesaving aid, such as food, treatment for malnutrition and cash, but much more needs to be done to reach those in dire need.
DEC Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said: “People in the UK have, once again, shown their huge generosity and we’re very grateful for their response to the humanitarian crisis in Yemen.
“The strong personal TV appeals made by Clare Balding and Tom Hardy last night highlighting the desperate situations of families and children have really struck a chord with the public.
“This vital fundraising must continue to help save lives and reduce the suffering of people in Yemen.”
The £5 million funds raised is made up of £3 million given by the UK public by text, phone and online, and £2 million from the UK government through AidMatch.
To make a donation to the DEC Yemen Crisis Appeal visit:www.dec.org.uk, call the 24-hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
What your money could buy:
- £25 could provide a month’s supply of life-saving peanut paste to a malnourished child
- £60 could provide clean drinking water for two families for a month
- £100 could provide supplies to a clinic treating severely malnourished children for a week
Stay up to date with developments in Yemen, the emergency response and the fundraising efforts with the DEC on twitter:www.twitter.com/decappeal; on Facebook viawww.facebook.com/
Notes to editors:
- The next funding update will be published at approximately midday on Thursday 15th December.
- The DEC brings 13 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, CARE International UK, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Oxfam, Plan International UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
- To make a postal donation make cheques payable to ‘DEC’ and mail to ‘PO Box 999, London, EC3A 3AA’.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at Post Office counters.
- To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Yemen Crisis Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.