Media Contacts: 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or by calling 0370 60 60 900
** Spokespeople, recent photos and footage are available **
For immediate release
DEC appeal raises £6 million for Indonesia Tsunami in first day
The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) appeal for survivors of the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia has raised £6 million, with donations from the public still coming in.
The UK Government matched pound for pound the first £2 million donated by the public to the DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal.
More than 1,500 are confirmed dead after a 7.4 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami with waves as high as 18 feet hit Central Sulawesi Province a week ago.
Homes and entire communities have been destroyed, 1.5 million people have been affected and 200,000 are in desperate need of help. Authorities fear that casualties and the number of those displaced by the disaster will continue to rise in the coming days.
DEC member charities and their partners are working closely with the Indonesian authorities and are providing food, clean water, first aid and shelter, as well as helping survivors to cope with the trauma of the last seven days.
DEC Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said:
“We are extremely grateful for donations from people in the UK who, once again, have shown huge generosity. We also thank the UK Government who matched pound for pound the first £2 million donated by the public. We are also extremely appreciative to our broadcast partners for airing the appeal launch which has reached millions of viewers and listeners.”
“The situation in Indonesia remains desperate and hundreds of thousands of people urgently need food, clean water, shelter as well as support in dealing with the trauma they have experienced. As the full impact of the disaster unfolds, DEC member charities and their partners are ready to help devastated communities to rebuild their lives.
“We would urge people to continue donating. Please donate now.”
To make a donation to the DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal, visit www.dec.org.uk, call the 24-hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. To donate £5, text SUPPORT to 70000. Texts cost £5 and the whole £5 goes to the DEC INDONESIA TSUNAMI APPEAL. You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission. For full terms and conditions and more information, go to www.dec.org.uk
Stay up to date with developments in Indonesia, the emergency response and the fundraising efforts with the DEC on twitter: www.twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries please call 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
- At times of very great need, the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) brings together a unique alliance of the UK’s leading aid agencies and broadcasters to maximise fundraising and quickly deliver effective emergency relief. The DEC brings together 14 major UK aid agencies: Action Against Hunger, ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, CARE International UK, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide UK, Islamic Relief Worldwide, Oxfam GB, Plan International UK, Save the Children UK, Tearfund and World Vision UK.
- UK Government match funding will go directly to the DEC. This funding has doubled the value of the public’s own donations up to £2 million and will ensure that charities working on the ground can reach even more people in need.
- Funds raised will go towards humanitarian assistance in Indonesia, Sulawesi Island.
- To make a postal donation make cheques payable to ‘DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal’ and mail to ‘PO Box 999, London, EC3A 3AA’.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at Post Office counters.
To donate £5 text SUPPORT to 70000. Texts cost £5 and the whole £5 goes to the DEC INDONESIA TSUNAMI APPEAL. You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission. For full terms and conditions and more information go to www.dec.org.uk
Shelter - £30 could provide emergency shelter for one family
Food - £50 could provide a family with food for a month
Hygiene - £100 could help build toilet and washing facilities for a family
- Appeal image can be downloaded here. Further photos, footage and spokespeople are available.