Donations to help survivors of Super Tyhoon Haiyan have boosted the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal to a staggering £39 million.
The situation in the Philippines is now becoming clearer and is showing the true scale of the desperation with over 11 million people affected. There are now 4 million people displaced from their homes and around a million homes have either been damaged or destroyed.
DEC Chief Executive Saleh Saeed said: “We have been completely overwhelmed by the kindness and compassion from the UK public, the response has been incredible. However, with 11 million people affected and 4 million people becoming displaced from their homes, the need for urgent support is vital. Through DEC agencies we are getting clean water, medication, sanitation and temporary shelter materials immediately to people. We must also start to look at the future as sadly we know it will take months and years to rebuild people’s lives.
To make a donation to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal visit http://www.dec.org.uk, call the 24 hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. You can also donate £5 by texting the word SUPPORT to 70000.
Stay up to date with developments in the Philippines, the emergency response and the DEC’s fundraising efforts on twitter: http://twitter.com/decappeal or on Facebook via http://www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
What the money donated could buy:
- £25: Water purification tablets for ten families for a month
- £50: Feeds a family for two weeks
- £100: Emergency shelter and bedding for one family
DEC press office 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
Notes to editors
- The DEC brings 14 leading UK aid charities together in times of crisis: ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, Care International, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide, Islamic Relief, Merlin, Oxfam, Plan UK, Save the Children, Tearfund and World Vision; all collectively raising money to reach those in need quickly.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at post office counters.
- To donate £5 by text send the word SUPPORT to 70000. The full £5 will go to the DEC Philippines Typhoon Appeal. Donors must be 16 years or over and have the bill payer’s permission. Texts are free and donations will be added to the bill.
- Donations can be made at www.dec.org.uk or 0370 60 60 900
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the Philippine Red Cross started distributing food yesterday (rice, oil, sugar, salt, soy sauce, coffee and tins of sardines, soap) to 10,860 families (54,300 people)
Christian aid have today are distributing DFID shelter materials for 1000 families in Leyte