Leading UK aid agencies today [Thursday 4 October] announced a joint fundraising appeal to help the survivors of the 7.4 magnitude earthquake and tsunami that struck Central Sulawesi Province, Indonesia, last Friday.
Over 1,300 people are confirmed dead and 200,000 people are in urgent need of clean water, food, medical care and shelter.
Homes and entire communities have been destroyed after the earthquake and a tsunami with waves travelling at over 400 miles per hour left a trail of destruction in their wake in one of the worst Indonesian disasters since the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami.
As rescuers struggle to reach outlying communities, authorities fear that casualties and the number of people displaced by the disaster will rise in the coming days. Up to 1.5 million people may have been affected.
The DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal is launching today and will be shown on all major UK broadcasters including BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky.
DEC Chief Executive, Saleh Saeed, said:
“DEC member charities and their local partners are working closely with the Indonesian authorities to get aid to those who urgently need it, as well as helping survivors to cope with the trauma of the last few days.
“As the full scale of the disaster unfolds, they are providing emergency relief and are ready to help devastated communities to rebuild their lives.
“There is an urgent need for clean drinking water, food, medical care and shelter. Please give generously and let’s save the survivors.”
To make a donation to the DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal visit www.dec.org.uk, call the 24-hour hotline on 0370 60 60 900, donate over the counter at any high street bank or post office, or send a cheque. To donate £5 text SUPPORT to 70000. Texts cost £5 and the whole £5 goes to the DEC INDONESIA TSUNAMI APPEAL. You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission. For full terms and conditions and more information go to www.dec.org.uk
Stay up to date with developments in Indonesia, the emergency response and the fundraising efforts with the DEC on twitter: www.twitter.com/decappeal
or on Facebook via www.facebook.com/DisastersEmergencyCommittee
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries please call 020 7387 0200 or 07930 999 014 (out of hours)
- At times of very great need, the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) brings together a unique alliance of the UK’s leading aid agencies and broadcasters to maximise fundraising and quickly deliver effective emergency relief. The DEC brings together 14 major UK aid agencies: Action Against Hunger, ActionAid UK, Age International, British Red Cross, CAFOD, CARE International UK, Christian Aid, Concern Worldwide UK, Islamic Relief Worldwide, Oxfam GB, Plan International UK, Save the Children UK, Tearfund and World Vision UK.
- Funds raised will go towards humanitarian assistance in Indonesia.
- To make a postal donation make cheques payable to ‘DEC Indonesia Tsunami Appeal’ and mail to ‘PO Box 999, London, EC3A 3AA’.
- Donations can be made at any high street bank and at Post Office counters.
To donate £5 text SUPPORT to 70000. Texts cost £5 and the whole £5 goes to the DEC INDONESIA TSUNAMI APPEAL. You must be 16 or over and please ask the bill payer's permission. For full terms and conditions and more information go to www.dec.org.uk
Shelter - £30 could provide emergency shelter for one family
Food - £50 could provide a family with food for a month
Hygiene - £100 could help build toilet and washing facilities for a family
Appeal image can be downloaded here. Further photos, footage and spokespeople are available.